On the journey toward self-realization, self-actualization, wholeness (whatever word you use for this), there are no shortcuts. And yet, I am continually confronted by those who refuse to do the work.
- They become bored and disinterested.
- The work turns out to be “too hard.”
- They are unwilling to let go of the things blocking their journey.
- They bail out the first time their ego attachments are challenged.
- They cling to their victimhood.
- They give up the work in favor of shiny objects and false promises.
- They think they can just think the right thoughts and become self-actualized.
- They believe a gratitude practice alone will make them whole.
- They believe they are already enlightened.
- They think the journey ends with ascension.
- They find every way to escape the real work by focusing on surface practices only.
- When the journey doesn’t make them rich, bring them fame or glory, or bring the man/woman of their dreams, they become disinterested and walk away.
The journey of self-actualization has absolutely nothing to do with anything outside of us. It has everything to do with what is within. And it takes work. HARD WORK. There are no shortcuts!
We cannot “Lala” our way to self-actualization. In fact, spiritual bypass guarantees the journey will fail. As the Buddhists say, “What we resist will persist.” The more we resist the inherent drive to evolve and become whole, the more we will suffer because of it. The more we ignore the deep healing work that is required to become whole, the more we will suffer. The more we ignore the inner obstacles to our freedom, the greater our suffering will be. This suffering, I have found, is more difficult than simply doing the work. We can suffer a life of quiet desperation, or uncover the inner peace, contentment, fulfillment, and joy that is inherent within us through the journey of self-realization.
The obstacles to self-actualization are many:
- Unhealed wounds
- Past conditioning
- Attachment to the status quo
- Attachment to material/external results.
- Anything we have suppressed or repressed.
The seven cardinal compulsions are all manifestations of these obstacles: pride, sloth, greed, envy, wrath, lust (for power), and gluttony.
The journey toward self-actualization invites us to remove these obstacles through deep processes of inner transformation and healing. With every obstacle that is removed, another aspect of our true nature becomes liberated, and we take another step toward the freedom of our original natures.
Jesus spoke of the difficulty of the journey toward self-actualization when he spoke of the narrow gate and the eye of the needle:
“Enter through the narrow gate, for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and those who find it are few in number.” Matthew 7: 13-14
“Amen, I say to you, it will be difficult for one attached to material things to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for someone who is attached to material things to enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 19: 23-24
There are no shortcuts! If we truly seek wholeness and the inner fulfillment that comes through the journey of self-actualization we must do the work!
Supporting Your Journey of Self-Actualization:
Authentic Freedom is a protocol and practice developed by Lauri Ann Lumby which supports you in identifying and then healing the fears that have kept you imprisoned by your past wounding and cultural conditioning.
Through recorded lessons, reading, discussion, mindfulness and creativity practices, you will be given the tools to identify, heal and transform the fears that:
There is not enough.
You are insignificant and have nothing of value to offer the world.
You cannot live as our most authentic selves.
You are not loved (or that love has to be earned or can be taken away).
You are not free to express our truth.
You do not know the truth.
You are alone.
At the end of this course, you will have the tools to support you in the continued liberation from your fears and the conditioning that has placed them there.